What Wellston area residents know as the Sylvester Memorial Wellston Public Library had its extremely modest beginning in 1928.
Organized as a school district library, it was founded due to the vision and enthusiasm of W.G. Scarberry, at that time, superintendent of the Wellston school system, and John E. Sylvester, publisher and editor of the Wellston Telegram. They both recognized the need for a library in this area available not only to students in the school systems, but to the general public as well.
In 1936, the library was moved from the high school to the "new" City Building, formerly the Morgan Mansion, which at that time, had been recently acquired by the City of Wellston. Rooms for a public library were specifically provided for in the deed transferred by the Morgan heirs.
The library grew and flourished in the City Building in both the number of volumes and of patrons, and expanded into all available space in the building. Late in 1965 the idea of a building built especially for the use of a public library was proposed to the board by John E. Sylvester, who conceived and promoted the project with contagious enthusiasm.
The most desirable lot in town, at the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and Second Street (the former Dr. John Sylvester residence) was made available for purchase by the Sylvester heirs, namely:
Mr. Marcus A. (Sally McFarland) Boggs, of Spartanburg, South Carolina
Dr. Thomas A. McFarlland, Case Western-Reserve Univeristy, of Cleveland, Ohio
John S. McFarland, of Milton, Massachusetts
Phillip J. McFarland, Concord School, of Boston, Massachusetts
These four are the daughter and sons of the late Lucille Sylvester McFarland, sister of John E. Sylvester.
The board also received a most generous outright gift of $20,000 from Admiral (Retired) and Mrs. John E. Sylvester, of Washington, D.C.
Mr. and Mrs. Hiram Callahan of Jackson also made numerous contributions to the library building fund. Mrs. Callahan is the former Janet Sylvester, daughter of the late John E. Sylvester, Sr.
It is understandable that the new building is named the Sylvester Memorial Wellston Public Library, as it was conceived by the late John E. Sylvester, Sr., and made possible in large measure by the financial generosity of the surviving members of the Sylvester family.
The purchase of the site for the new library was assured in June 1966, and the L.S.C.A. grant was authorized in November 1966, and awarded in January 1967.
Razing of the Sylvester residence on the site of the new library building was started in July 1967, by contractor Jack L. Jenkins.
Ground breaking ceremonies for the new building were held on the morning of October 26, 1967, with members of the library board and representatives of the various contracting firms in attendance.
Formal dedication services for the opening of the new Sylvester Memorial Wellston Public Library was held on Sunday, October 27, 1968, at two o'clock with board president Lloyd P. Evans presiding at the ceremonies.
In 1986, an addition was added to the existing building including a community room, storage area, and an Adult Basic Education and Literacy classroom.
In 1999, the library was renovated to add public internet stations and space for videos. Updated furniture, new carpet, and more shelving was also included in the renovation. With a decrease in the number of adult basic education students, the A.B.L.E. room was converted into a genealogy and local history room. The room was named the Elizabeth Hipple Smith Genealogy Room in her memory for her generous donation from her estate. Smith is a former Wellston school teacher.
In 2007, renovations converted a new "children's area" in the former community room and increased shelving for audio-visual materials. With centrally located computers and updated collections, patrons will find the library has a more efficient and user-friendly atmosphere.
The library was located in the original High School building for eight years, spent thirty-two years in the City Building, and completed 50 years in the Sylvester Memorial building in October 2018.